- Alternative Names: Volcanic Glass
- Crystal System: Amorphous
- Formation: Primary
- Mineral Class: Oxide
- Hardness Mohs: 5 to 5.5
- Location Found: US, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Argentina, Chile, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Iceland, Russia, New Zealand, Japan, and Kenya
- Rarity: Common
- Colour: Black, black with white inclusions. Mahogany and various inclusion colours
- Forms: natural, tumbled, cut/carved and common in Jewelry
- Birthstone: Modern Birthstones November
- Astrological Zodiac Sign: Aries, Capricorn, and Sagittarius
- Numerological Number: 1
- Element: Fire and Earth
- Affirmation: I cut and release all negative ties from my life.
Obsidian History/Mythology: Obsidian is formed when lava cools so quickly that is doesn’t have time to form a crystalline structure and is also known as volcanic glass. It has been found in some of the oldest know artifacts of man found to date and its uses range from some of the oldest mirrors to some of the oldest weapons. It has been hand napped or caved into protective items throughout history.
Different Natural Obsidian:
- Black Obsidian (most common)
- Apache Tears Obsidian also is known as Smoky Obsidian – can look black but is opaque
- Mahogany Obsidian – Mahogany with black inclusions
- Snowflake Obsidian – black with white inclusions
Coloured Obsidian – I am seeing a lot of coloured Obsidian on the market at the moment and unfortunately this is not natural volcanic glasses, it is just coloured normal man-made glass. So please be aware of what you buy as with something like this you lose the protection aspect but keep the colour vibration.
There is also man-made Obsidian’s that are available on the market that is created by taking the ash from a volcanic explosion and making glass out of it. A known example of this is Gia Stone which is created using the ash from the 1980 St Helena Eruption and is an amazing green colour. This way you are combining the explosive power of the volcano and creating a very uniquely vibrational stone.
Obsidian Metaphysical Healing Properties Information: Obsidian has no boundaries or limitations in its vibration, it works at a rapid speed with great power behind it. It will dig out and find any blockages or fears that you are holding and help you to recognize them, release them, and move forward. Obsidian is a very ground and protective stone that will assist you, particularly when working with your lower chakras. Obsidian is a very protective stone and will form a shield around you or an area that will help protect you by blocking negative energy that is sent at you. Obsidian is a great stone to use when you want to protect or block negative energies from a given area by placing a grid of stones around the space.
Black Obsidian has been shaped throughout history from the earliest times as a protective weapon and is still used as such from an energetic point of view. By having Black Obsidian in your Aura it works like a shield or mirror and reflects back all of the negative energies being directed at you from a Psychic Attach.
After being used as a cutting implement throughout human history I have found that Obsidian is the best stone to ‘cut’ away all that is a negative influence in your life. Affirmation: I cut and release all negative ties from my life.
Chakra – Root Chakra and Earth Star
Obsidian Physical Healing – Obsidian is great for pain relief, ease tensions, release energy blocks, and vascular contraction. It helps to staunch bleeding and accelerates the healing of wounds.
Obsidian Application suggested ways to use:
- Obsidian, when meditated with, will help to release any built-up emotions and benefit from it’s protecting and ground properties. Stones that work well together for grounding and protecting are Black Tourmaline, Black Obsidian, Shungite, Elite Shungite and generally any black or black inclusion stones like Dalmation Stone and Zebra Jasper.
- Worn next to the skin or over the affected area to help alleviate pain. Stones that combine well for this purpose are Elite Shungite, Shungite, Hematite, Lepidolite and Obsidian. DO NOT place over or on broken skin or open wounds.
- Great to work with to help release or cut away all of the negative areas in your life – arrowheads are perfect for this purpose as they have been used to cut things for generations.
- It can be used in all energy work as a protection and grounding stone. Stones that work well together for grounding and protecting are Black Tourmaline, Black Obsidian, Shungite, Elite Shungite and generally any black or black inclusion stones like Dalmation Stone and Zebra Jasper.
- Worn or carried as a protection talisman.
- Meditate with it place near the Root Chakra