- Alternative Name: Nil
- Crystal System: Monoclinic
- Formation: Primary
- Location: Indian, Pakistan and Russia
- Mineral Class: Lattice silicate, feldspar family
- Rarity: Common lower grade, Rare High Grade
- Colour: white, brownish with a light pink or blueish shimmer
- Forms: natural, tumbled, cut/carved and very common in Jewelry
- Hardness Mohs: 6 to 6.5
- Rarity: Common
- Birthstone: Modern – Rainbow Moonstone June and July
- Astrological Zodiac Sign: Cancer, Libra and Scorpio
- Numerological Number: 4
- Element: Water
- Affirmation: I am in perfect balance and embrace my feminine side.
Moonstone Mythology History: Moonstone has been around and recorded since the earliest times in many different cultures around the world and so holds much Mythology about not only the creation by the beliefs behind it. Some of the most well know are the following:
India Hindu Beliefs: Moonstone holds a very feminine energy and is the opposite of Sunstone which holds masculine energy and together they form a balance or union. The Hindus believe that since the beginning of time Moonstone has been embedded in the forehead of Ganesh the four-handed Hindu God of the moon. The Hindus believe that Moonstone was created from moonbeams which is how it got its lustre.
Greek and Roman Beliefs: The ancient Romans believed that Moonstone was made for moonshine/moonlight hitting the earth and being formed. They also associated it with their Goddess of the Moon Diana. While the Ancient Greeks associated Moonstone with the Goddess of love Aphrodite and the Goddess of the Moon Selene and refereed to the stone as ‘Aphroselene’ a combination of the two.
Asian Beliefs: Throughout China and East Asia’s it was believed that the moving blue flash of Moonstone was a living spirit inside the stone and was a powerful good luck charm that could also be used to cure insomnia. There is also an ancient Asian myth that believes that the most beautiful moonstone with the highest blue shine are bought in only every 21 years by the tides and are the most converted.
Moonstone Metaphysical Healing Properties: Throughout history Moonstone has been associated with the moon and the feminine side of use. It is a stone that will help you connect to the Goddess within you and bring forth that energy for whatever purpose is needed. Moonstone is a stone of new beginnings and helps to encourages us to accept and develop our intuition. Moonstone brings with it a sense of calm and helps to soothe emotional stress particularly in times of distress and is great for calming hyperactive children. Moonstone helps to bring balance into your life especially between the male/female ying/yang energies. Moonstone can also assist with insomnia and getting a good night’s sleep. It is a wonderful talisman to be used for people traveling at night or by sea.
Moonstone has a love gentle energy that has a very firm hand behind it in order to gently yet firmly get you to where you need to go and find the perfect balance in your life. Affirmation: I am in perfect balance and embrace my feminine side.
Question: What brings balance into my life?
Moonstone is a Liquid Crystals Stone and represents ‘Mother Goddess’
Moonstone Physical Healing – Helps digestive & reproductive systems. Alleviates degeneration of skin, hair, eyes, liver & pancreas. Excellent for PMS, pregnancy, and childbirth.
Moonstone Applications suggested ways to use:
- Moonstone is a wonderful stone to wear for long periods of time.
- Meditating with Moonstone on your Third Eye or Crown Chakras is a great way to activate your Chakras.
- A great stone to find balance in your life. Try combining with Sunstone to bring through the male and female energy balance.
- This stone is great as a gift to a pregnant person so that they can have a healthy happy pregnancy. Try combining with Amber, Chrysocolla, Unakite, and Rose Quartz.
- Carrying a piece around as a hand warmer is wonderful for calming stressful times.
- Placed under your pillow or near your bed in a great way to help get a better night’s sleep. Please see here for my Top 5 Crystals for a Better Nights Sleep.
- Worn as a protective talisman when doing a lot of night travel or travelling by sea. Try making a Travel Mojo Bag with Pyrite, Garnet, Aquamarine, Chiastolite and Mookaite.
- Helping to connect with the Goddess within and find your own inner feminine power. Try combining with Amazonite, Chrysocolla, Libyan Desert Glass and Ametrine for the all-round Feminine power package!
- Carry around with you to attract synchronistic events into your life. Stones that combine well to attract synchronistic events into your life are Nummite, Moonstone, Labradorite, Ruby and Star Hollandite.
- It can be taken safely as an essence. Please make sure you clean all stones thoroughly prior to making an essence and if unsure of safety use as a topical spray. Crystals that can be safely used to make essences are: Clear Quartz, Rose Quartz, Amethyst, Smoky Quartz, Citrine, Agate (not dyed), Moonstone, Carnelian (not saltwater), Rutilated Quartz, Jasper, Aventurine, Amber and Obsidian.
Moonstone Products for sale