- Alternative Names: Iolite and Cordierite
- Crystal System: Orthorhombic
- Location: India and Madagascar
- Mineral Class: Silicates
- Colour: Purple, grey, blue
- Rarity: Common
- Hardness Mohs: 7
- Forms: Natural formation, rough, Tumbled, and in jewelry
- Birthstone: 21st wedding anniversary gemstone
- Astrological Zodiac Sign: Libra and Sagittarius
- Numerological Number: 7
- Element: Water
Iolite History Mythology Information: The meaning of the word Iolite comes from the Greek Word ‘Ios’ which meaning ‘Violet’ due to its colour. It has been recorded in history that the Vikings called Iolite the ‘Compass Stone’ and would use slices of it as a polarizing filter in order to reduce the glare of the sun so that they could locate the sun even in on cloudy days. Please do not try this unless you understand what you are doing as you could damage your eyes.
Iolite or Corierite Metaphysical Healing Properties: Iolite will help you to increase your intuition and works particularly well on the Third Eye to assist with vision work. Iolite will help you to find your calm and become more attune to your higher self so that you can listen and hear your own true purpose and then follow it. Iolite helps you to see other people’s points of view and become more empathetic to their life path. This makes it a wonderful stone to assist with relationships of all kinds and resolve any difficult or tension-filled situations. It will also assist when you want to work with your dreams.
Chakra –Third Eye mainly and then Throat and Crown Chakras
Iolite is a Liquid Crystals Stone and represents ‘Vision’
Iolite Physical Healing Information – Creates a strong constitution. Reduces fatty deposits in the body. Reduces the effects of alcohol. Supports detoxification of the liver. Treats Malaria, fevers, aids pituitary, sinus, migraine, and all bacteria.
Iolite Applications ways to use:
- It can be used in all meditations to enhance intuition. Try combine with the lovely gently qualities of Amethyst.
- Mediate with it in order to strengthen your connection with higher beings. Combines wonderfully with Scolecite, Seraphinite, and Charoite for this purpose.
- Wonderful as a healing tool when working with the throat area. Iolite combines well with Lapis Lazuli when working on the Throat Chakra.
- Wearing or carry around in order to assist with relationships or finding your own true purpose. Try placing in a Mojo Bag with Sapphire, Sulphur in Quartz, Iolite, Amethyst, Celestite and Rutilated Quartz.
- Use in Grids for higher self and dream work. Great stones to enhance dream work are Mystic Merlinite, Dream Amethyst and Black Tourmaline.
- The perfect gift to give new relationships to strengthen the bond and commitment as a couple. Great stones for this purpose are Vesuvanite, Garnet, Ruby and or Red Tigers Eye in order to keep the passion in the relationship.