- Alternative Names: Black Onyx, Onyx
- Crystal System: Trigonal
- Formation: Primary
- Hardness Mohs: 7
- Location Found: Uruguay and the bordering regions of Brazil, Afghanistan, India, Madagascar, Peru, Mexico and Northern US.
- Mineral Class: Oxide, quartz group
- Colours: Black, brown, blue and orange (Sardonyx) it can be layered and have stripes.
- Rarity: Common
- Forms: Natural, tumbled, cut/carved and common in Jewelry
- Birthstone: Mystical December
- Astrological Zodiac Sign: Leo
- Numerological Number: 6
- Element: Earth
Onyx History Mythology Information: Onyx has been used throughout record history and flinted artifacts of tools have been found having been made from it. It was a popular Gemstone used by the Greeks and Romans and it was named after the ancient Greek word ‘Onyx’ meaning nail or claw because it was believed to have been born from the nails of the goddess Venus. Onyx is a form of layer Agate which is a member of the Chalcadony family. Please be aware there are some cheap imitation of Onyx being seen on the market over recent years particularly carvings coming out of Asia.
Onyx is the Gemstone of the 7th year of marriage and Black Onyx is the gemstone for the 10th year of Marriage.
Onyx Metaphysical Healing Properties Information: Onyx is a very protective and grounding stone that helps you to find your own strength in any situation and gives you the stamina and foresight in order to deal with what is happening. Onyx helps you to overcome any fears you might be holding and allows you to make wise decisions in order to find the most beneficial outcomes of any given situation. Onyx has a strong memory so is fantastic for grid work or programming, however, must always be cleansed before use.
Black Onyx is a Liquid Crystals Stone and represents ‘Grounded Self-Awareness’
Black Onyx Physical Healing – Teeth, bones, blood and feet
Application suggested ways to use Onyx
- Black Onyx should be worn for a long period of time because it takes time to unfold and assist and strengthen you.
- Carry it with you in situations that make you feel anxious or fearful in order to release these unwanted negative energies. Combine Black Onyx, Black Tourmaline, Hematite and Labradorite for this purpose.
- It is a fantastic stone to program as it holds clear memories or intents but must be cleansed thoroughly before each new program. A great Black Onyx combination is using it with Selenite and Black Tourmaline, particularly for protection purposes.
- It is better to wear it as a ring or bracelet so that it is closer to your Base Chakra, but if unavailable a tumbled in the pocket will do the job nicely.
- Can be carried on your person or meditated on.